Here's a few winter maintenance tips that you might not have thought of, but will help with keeping your home in top condition:
- Keep an eye out for ice daming on your roof. Prevent it by removing excess snow and ice from the roof. Also keep an eye on those roof top vents to ensure that they are not being blocked.
- Keep your dryer exhaust, as well as intake, exhaust pipes clear of snow & ice. If the pipes are covered by snow, ice or other debris, it will shut down the furnace and/or your hot water system.
- Keep your basement window wells clear of snow. As the snow melts water may find its way inside if snow is left in window wells.
- Planning a trip - check your thermostat batteries if it uses them. If your thermostat runs out of power your furnace will not operate
- Closed curtains and blinds will trap condensation, and cause mildew or mould. Keep them open so that air circulates and prevents this moisture from accumulating. If there is moisture or condensation, wipe it up.
- Make sure indoor air vents are clean and keep air supply vents in the basement open through the winter.
- Try to use sand instead of salt on your concrete based walkways. Salt will corode and eat away at your patio stones, and concrete porch.
- Its a good idea to run you furnace fan throughout the year for better air circulation throughout your home.
- Keep up with the regular cleaning of furnace, hrv, and hood fan air ﬁlters
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to our team. If we don't know the answer, we can always direct you to someone who does.