As we know, to help prevent the spread of diseases like COVID-19 hand washing and sanitizing is one of the best practices. In case you're having a hard time finding these, here's a great recipe to make your own hand sanitizer at home!
All you need are these three ingredients:
- Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol volume)
- Aloe Vera gel
- An essential oil (tea tree or lavender as an example, lemon juice also works)
The idea is to stick to a 2:1 proportion of alcohol to aloe vera which keeps the alcohol content around 60%, the minimum amount required to kill most germs.
Make sure when using this recipe that you rub it into your hands for at least 60 seconds for it to be effective at killing germs.
You will need:
- 3/4 cup of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol volume)
- 1/4 cup of Aloe Vera gel (to keep hands smooth and counteract the harshness of the alcohol)
- 10 drops of essential oil (like the ones mentioned above)
- Pour all of the ingredients into the bowl with one pouring spot (like a glass measuring container)
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to achieve a gel like consistency
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle and label it "hand sanitizer."
And you're ready to go!